11/10/2005

A voice from the majority.

I will not claim to (nor do I wish to) represent everyone who voted the same way as me on Tuesday. That would be silly. I don't think every Democrat is like Ted Kennedy. I don't think every Republican is like Bill O'Reilly. Like most of you I had no doubt that Prop 2 would pass in our state. I too was surprised at the actual numbers. I was initially surprised the margin wasn't bigger. I shouldn't have been. Before and after the actual vote, I heard and read opinions from more than a few people. It seemed most of the people wanting to discuss the issue were opposed to Prop 2 for various reasons. And yet the actual vote was somewhere close to 3 to 1 in favor. What gives? I think there are many reasons for this. Media coverage (of all topics) springs to mind. Some have been vocal in their support of Prop 2. Everyone knows where the "Religious Right" stands on the issue. I'm not sure who those people are exactly. I never hear someone proclaim themselves a member of that group. I usually hear it from talking heads or politicians as a way to marginalize an opposing view. A tactic used from both sides of the aisle I recognize. I'm getting off my intended topic.

I voted for Prop 2. I take voting seriously. I did not vote on every proposed amendment on the ballot because I simply did not know much about some of them. But I had spent sufficient time in thought and prayer to confidently support Prop 2. It was not a slam dunk decision. I considered many of the issues I have read and heard expressed from others. Should this be added to the Constitution in addition to the existing statutes? Is this a role our government should fill? Is this discriminatory to someone who would be affected?

I'm not sure if this is a role for our government to play. This point gave me greatest pause before my decision, and I'm not sure I have it fully resolved. I decided I had no problem with what some call a redundant addition. As some have pointed out, this makes it harder for someone in the future to circumvent the existing laws. I have no doubt that someone eventually would, so the redundancy is fine with me. I do not think it is discriminatory. There are other legal avenues to gain the rights of a married man and woman if that is what someone wants.

So I based the decision on my personal and religious beliefs. (Is there a difference? Is that an entirely new topic?) I am not able to separate my faith from my political views. I try, but fail, to make every decision in my life based on my faith. I have had varied levels of success in that. But past failures to not relieve me from the responsibility to make correct choices now and in the future. I believe that leading a homosexual lifestyle is a sin. I believe that is clear in the Bible. Our society is moving farther and farther away from the values and beliefs taught by Christ. I don't see how anyone can argue that. I decided that this vote was an opportunity to slow that progression. It may not last. It may not even last long. But I felt it was important to say that I agree.

I agree that marriage is a sacred union. The Bible uses marriage as an example of a close, loving, special, holy relationship. The Bible describes marriage as consisting of one man and one woman each forsaking all others. I know, I know. People get divorced all the time it seems. People do not view marriage in that way anymore. They should. We should. I don't buy the arguments of high divorce rates and promiscuity as reasons to oppose Prop 2. Yes, those actions are not what God want for marriage. That does not mean other violations are OK, or that we shouldn't oppose them. We should stand up against all actions that oppose our Lord and his commands. I think it should be harder to get married and divorced in our country. It seems such a flippant decision for so many. That would mean revisiting the government's role which I still don't have a firm handle on.

I agree that some times the minority of America needs to prevail over the majority. Voting rights for women, voting rights for racial minorities, and several other civil/equal rights issues are prime examples. I don't think this applies to Prop 2 however. I would vote for those other issues to pass because they align with my faith. Those changes made our society better.

I agree that defining marriage as a union between one man and one woman protects the sanctity of marriage (yeah I used the phrase) and our society. As I stated earlier I realize the sanctity level of the institution of marriage is low in our culture. I don't think that means it's ok to further tarnish it. Forget the legal and governmental aspect of it for now and consider the cultural traditional role marriage plays in our society. Ideally a man and a woman commit to each other(and only each other) for the rest of their lives. The union is respected. The couple raise their family together. They are examples to their children. I guess that's just the perfect goal in our imperfect world. Doesn't mean we can't and shouldn't strive for that goal though.

I agree we should hate the sin and love the sinner. I do not agree that condoning or being indifferent to a sinful lifestyle is truly loving the sinner though. It doesn't seem like that is what's best for the sinner. If someone I cared for was living their life in a way that was a detriment to their salvation, it would be my responsibility to call them on it. Sure it would be an uncomfortable confrontation and discussion. Sure they could ask me what right I have to tell them that when I sin daily. Sure it would be easier for me to decide to ignore their choice (yes choice like any other sin) of lifestyle and hope and pray that they find Christ and repent. That seems unlikely to me though. I'm not saying it is impossible to find Christ when you are daily living in sin with no thought of repentance, but it is much easier to make Christ your savior and leader when you aren't.

I agree I don't know all the answers. I agree my outlook might be different if someone close to me was homosexual. I'd like to think it wouldn't be though. I heard something a week or so ago that has stuck with me: We aren't sinners because we sin, we sin because we are are sinners. So I'll pray for all of us, and ask you to do the same.

3 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Blogger Nellie said...

Noble Sir, might we be related?

 
At 3:13 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Respect. That is what I have for you, my friend. I respect your opinion and your reasoning behind that opinion. You've probably read all I have to say on the matter, so there's no need for me to say any more about it, I guess.

I don't know why I haven't read your blog more. This shall be remedied.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger sarahdawn said...

Indeed, I do beleive we were raised in the same place and share a few genes. I too struggle with the place of goverment in such affairs, but like you felt compelled to cast my vote in support of this prop. Truly I wish we approached ALL elections/votes with as much considerations and pause as we all did this one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home